How Many Cannibals Can My Body Feed?


I Love Cats But. . . Oh My Gosh, Not This Much

Just click here.

Some Things Show Up In Places You Don't Expect

I follow the blog of Andy Ihnatko. He's an author and the technology columnist for the Chicago Sun Times. I like geeky stuff, what can I say. As I watched the news this morning in bewilderment, I could not figure out a reason for what was going on. Andy's post puts it into perspective. Please note, I do not publicly endorse or discuss political candidates on this blog. Andy's insight was so clear that I wanted to share it with you. Maybe because I'm a geek, his pen speaks more clearly to me.

Sad News of a Fire on Our Maine Vacation Island

From Maine Coast Now

I poke to Robert, the fire chief, earlier and he said this is a terrible loss for Matinicus Island. The islanders are already rallying to rectify the situation. A temporary trailer to house the Post Office is said to be on it's way and the owners of the new general store as well as Craig, the property owner, have insurance to cover the loss. I guess we'll have to wait a while for the long anticipated General Store. There hasn't been one on the island since we started vacationing there five years ago. Our most recent visit was in January for a taste of the Matinicus winter. Robert and Cynthia were our gracious hosts for the long weekend.

This brought to light the needs of their all volunteer fire department. They are collecting donations and receiving aid from several communities in Maine. Hopefully they will get some much needed equipment upgrades.

Additional coverage from WLBZ

I can't get this song out of my head. ~ Now it's in yours.

Thanks to Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn, Jenn - the one not on the bus, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie, Jennie, and Jennifer


England Days 9 & 10

We awoke to a beautiful morning and the faint sounds of sheep in the pasture.
Breakfast was made from the eggs from Christine's chickens and included all sorts of yummy goodies. We discovered we had landed quite close to a place called Bratton Water. A fly fishing only pond with trout that are raised on site. Steve made a quick call and I was all taken care of complete with gear. I had not intended to fish anywhere in England but if the opportunity presents itself. . .A few hours of wonderful fishing with two very well fed rainbow porkers in the 14 to 16 inch range and I was at my limit. All fish landed must be taken as this is a hatchery that supplies many local tables with their harvest. One fish was taken on an olive nymph and the other on a blood worm. The owners Mike and Jan were very helpful and accommodating to this traveling angler without a kit. The Fish were taken back to our hosts at Bracken House as a gift for their hospitality. We had already scheduled partridge breast for dinner and did not want to disrupt Christine's menu planning. There was also good odds of coming home with nothing. After depositing the fish we were off to Marwood Hill Gardens to see the amazing efforts of the late Dr. James Smart and what he has accomplished in just fifty years. The eighty acre property is comprised of a small valley that faces the house. Because of the different elevations he was able to collect and plant a wide variety of plants from upland alpine species to lowland boggs. There are many national specimen's on the property specifically grown to assure seed stocks in perpetuity. We started with a light lunch in the tearoom and while we were there we were able to listen in on a brief overview of the place by the head gardener, who was giving a tour to the rhododendron society on that day. After lunch we took a long walk around the property. Even though it was April many plants were already in bloom. England has a much longer growing season than us and their spring has a big jump on our New England growing season. They are so lucky to have such a wonderful climate for gardening. After our long walk we went back to Bracken House to see what the sheep were up to. As we arrived, so did the farmers that own the sheep. They fielded questions from two wacky American tourists incredibly curious about all these woolly critters. When they emerged from a back pasture they had #191 in tow. He had a bad leg and was in need of some medicine. It was back to the barn with it for some TLC.Back to the barn for us too and time for a little reading and blogging, accompanied by scotch and ale before dinner. This included nice conversation with our hosts until Christine rang the dinner bell. The partridge was wonderful and was served with mustard mashed potatoes, sauted leeks, roasted parsnips and broccoli. A nice private label Bracken House white wine brought the flavors out nicely. The finally was rhubarb cobbler with custard (for her) and vanilla ice cream.

Day Ten
Another hearty breakfast and then time to say goodbye. We had to make our way back toward London for departure the next morning. Our intention was a scenic drive through the northern coast area of Exmoor National Park in North Devon. This area is known as the soft hills of Devon and includes beautiful vistas of rolling hills and pastures. It also has that enchanted woods feel in sections as we waded our way through the twisting scenic toll road which included several switchbacks that traversed the many hills. The coast looked daunting and foreboding on this windswept and rainy day. The dramatic views really made an impact. A wonderful feast for the eyes as we made our way back to the big city for our departure the next day. We knew we had left Devon when we again started to see many fields of rapeseed flowers on the road back east.We had one more stop to make before we concluded our trip and we rushed towards Windsor to see if we could make it. After an anxious time in a traffic jam we were finally able to park the car and walk through the village and shops to the top of the hill. As we arrived we looked up to see what we were hoping for. The Royal Standard was flying and Elizabeth II was at home in her private apartments on the grounds.
The displays at the castle were magnificent and humbling showing the riches of a kingdom where the sun never sets. This last site infused our memories of England with royalty, castles and the beautiful landscapes we experienced on our visit. We had a most wonderful time. I want to thank my wonderful friend, partner and love for a unique and wonderful Birthday present. I also want to thank all of you who have read this narrative and for coming along. Hopefully in the weeks to come I'll post more bits and pieces from the trip as well as assemble a consumable set of pictures from the collection of over one thousand photographs we took. OK, now back to our regularly scheduled reality. Vacation's over , move along nothing more to see here.

England Days 7 & 8

Day Seven
We had a quick breakfast at the hotel to insure we'd be at the dockyard at opening time. We revalidated our tickets with till two, even though she works till four thirty. We ventured all through the HMS Victory from her quarterdeck right down to the lowest part of the ship, the hold.

The exhibits were extremely detailed and kept as accurate as possible. There is a plaque on the deck marking the spot where Nelson fell. The staff on board was very helpful in answering any questions we had. The dining cabin for the admiral was opulent and in sharp contrast to the gun deck mess where the common sailors dined on a table slung above a canon. After the victory we rushed on board a harbour tour boat boat for a cruise around the harbour while we ate a picnic lunch. We were able to see some of the might of the modern Royal Naval Fleet and the Portsmouth sights. We were also able to get a front view of the Spinnaker Tower, Portsmouth's new signature landmark.
After lunch we concentrated on the Mary Rose exhibit. The Mary Rose is the oldest naval ship ever raised from the seabed. She sunk shortly after leaving the harbour, killing almost all on board. The reason why she sank is still a mystery. Many think it was a combination of factors. Thousands of items from the day of the sinking have been recovered and due to the exact dating of the sinking this has helped historians date other artifacts of the time period. Following this exhibit we attended the Trafalgar exhibit which connects Nelson and the Victory forever. This completed our visit to the dockyard and we checked off a must see item on our list for England. Back on the road again we pointed the GPS to Salisbury and landed there safely. After a bit of searching we found a nice little hotel in the town called The Clovellly. It was clean and quiet and across the street from two pubs. We stopped in for a pint of John Smiths Smooth. The pub was less cold feeling than most we had been in and we had good fun with the folks in the pub. After the tot it was time for a curry. We found a modern Indian restaurant that had very vibrant flavored foods and pleasing modern decor. A great end to a long day.

Day Eight
We had a proper English breakfast at the Clovelly and walked over to Salisbury Cathedral. This church has the highest steeple in the country. In the picture below, that little dot at the base of the point of the spire is not a spec of dirt but a steeplejack repairing the spire.They are currently celebrating the 750th anniversary with a steeple renovation. There were three steeple jacks hanging off bosun's chairs while we approached. They were so high up that they looked like part of the ornamentation of the steeple until they moved up or down the peak. The interior of the cathedral was amazing with ancient tombs throughout. It has had three times more years to collect history than our own country. The cathedral also has one of the four original copies of the Magna Carta and they boast they have the most legible copy of them all.
After a romp through the grounds we headed to Stonehenge. They have done a really a nice job of managing the site that is in the middle of sheep pasture at the crossroads of two highways. Via portable audio players, you are taken around the site to hear the historic and astrological significance of the area.After a lap around the bluestone he headed west towards North Devon and the Exmoor park. We quickly discovered the unique driving characteristics of the region, which basically is like driving in a one lane trough. There is no shoulder as the side of the road is a high hedge usually bordering a sheep pasture. If you encounter a car heading towards you, you may end up driving backwards for a half mile to let the other car pass. We found wonderful accommodations at Bracken House in Bratton Flemming, Christine and Stephen were our hosts and provided us with wonderful food and hospitality. The cottage overlooked beautiful sheep pasture and we were immediately greeted by several sheep and their lambs. Some babies were as young as a week old. They are a joy to watch as the jump and frolic in the hillside pasture. After we were settled in, we walked to the local pub, The White Hart, for some local fair. The place was well kept and the staff was very helpful. The local folks were nice to talk to and very friendly. We ventured back to Bracken House through the foot paths with torches in hand and turned in for the night.

England Days 5 & 6

Day Five
Time to say good bye to our hosts Caroline and Richard as well to London. They were marvelous hosts supplying us with comfort, information, good tips and delicious breakfasts.

Richard was gracious enough to bring us to the car rental for our next adventure, driving on the wrong side of the road. The car is a "full size" Mercedes that is very comfortable and easy to drive - relatively. Full size means that the trunk fits two suitcases max. We have a GPS, so that takes a bit of the confusion out of getting around. Driving on the left is a bit dicey since I've been driving on the right for thirty-three years. My MO is to drive slow. Lots of folks passing on the right but lots not. Big Brother has a firm hold on driving enforcement here as there are cameras that film and time you going through certain sections of the road. The other thing that takes a bit to get use to is the roundabouts or rotaries. We have lots of them in "New" England but not one every few miles. I guess it beats traffic lights and they are cheaper than overpasses to build and maintain. We followed our noses down Kings Road to the A3 stopped for a brief visit in Petworth and made our way to Climping, West Sussex, on the southern coast, to the beautiful Bailiffs Court Hotel and Spa. This stay and dinner was a birthday present from our wonderful friends Kim and Jim. We can't thank them enough. Kim was taken there on her twenty-first birthday and it is indelibly etched in her memory. We can see why. The rustic yet formally styled complex is comprised of many buildings all as unique components of a country home complete with peacocks and peahens roaming the property. Beautifully landscaped and maintained grounds complement the five star service. The room was fully appointed with canopy bed and spa style bath. After checking in we ventured to Arundel Castle for a tour. Arundel is the current home of the Duke of Norfolk. The duke and duchess still live at the castle in a private wing but still access the parts contained in the tour. I know it sounds odd, but they have made the castle seem lived in and homey with all the personal touches added throughout the tour. This was an interesting and fun place to visit. Back to our room to prepare for dinner where prescribed dress code is smart. I donned a jacket and tie. We dined on Chef Russell White's chefs menu. I'll cut to the chase - SUPERB - The banana mousse put this meal over the top. All I could think of when I had the roast pork was my mother in laws fresh ham. If I make reference to her cooking the chef must be working magic. With happy tummies we turned in for the night.

Day Six
The next morning started with a proper country stroll through the property and down to the beach. This was followed by a trip to the spa and preparations for departure. We made a quick stop in Littlehampton to secure a road atlas. Tip - we secured last years copy for two pounds $4. This years copy was 10 pounds @20. I know we have a GPS but an atlas helps with strategy and proximity. A quick walk through town, a peek at the mouth of the Arun river and we were off to Portsmouth. Driving was a little better this time but the senses are still on high alert. We arrived at the home of the historic naval dockyard, secured lodging, grabbed some lunch and ventured over to see some naval history. A tour through the Admiral Nelson exhibit was just enough to whet our appetite for a full day of exploration scheduled for the next day. We went for a much needed rest at our hotel, supped, did reading and writing, then crawled into our hammocks and slept until eight bells.

England Days 3 & 4

Hi everyone! Here are a couple more days of our travelog. I'll add more pictures at a later date.
4/16 - photo's added today.

Day Three.
Foiled by Starbucks. We wanted to check some information on the internet, check email and update the blog. The staff assured me that I would be able to connect but after a half hour of fiddling, it was no dice. One of the Barestas finally came over and said there was network trouble. Grrrrrr. Back to the B&B to ditch the computer and off to Trafalgar Square via the #11 bus for the National Gallery and St Martin's-in-the-Fields. as we left the bus, Mary immediately noticed an internet cafe. We popped in and quickly (relative term since the machines were running windows 98 and Internet Explorer 5, blah.) got on-line to read, write and post. Mail checked and apologetic post made and we rushed off for one of the free tours given by the Gallery. The docent was very knowledgeable and took us from fourteenth century up to the present with examples of European art through the centuries. We then went across the street for a lunchtime concert at St Martin-in-the-Fields Church. The featured group was Sahara, a wonderful quartet featuring violin, vIola, cello and soprano saxophone. The sound was unique yet familiar at the same time. I kept thinking of PBS shows with the same type music in the background. We purchased their CD and secured permission to post one of their songs on this blog. Doing this remotely is a bit of a challenge so I'll post a copy once I get stateside. After the concert we exited the church and discovered a rain shower. Can you believe it? Rain in London? Fortunately for us we had plans for lunch at the Cafe in the Crypt, St Martins own cafe in the basement. Yes lunch in a church basement. The food was yummy and is one of London's best meal values. With Lunch and the rain over we headed to our next destination the Victoria and Albert Museum. We were lucky to pick an elevator that landed exactly where we wanted to start the Morris Arts and Crafts exhibit. The roots of the the American arts and crafts movement that was in direct response to the Victorian era of decoration and design. We made our way through several exhibits and found the exit. A nice walk home through Chelsea and we pretty much crashed. Not however before Richard and Caroline suggested Tom's Kitchen for dinner. We made our arrangements and rested prior to our walk to dinner. Let me insert here that ALL the sights we went to today were absolutely FREE, the museums and the concert. Back to the important stuff - the food. Tom Aikens is a well known chef in London currently rivaling Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay. This is his mid-scale restaurant that features local foods prepared in a simple but delicious manner. We sat at a white marble kitchen bar watching the chefs work their magic with never a waisted motion, It was wonderful. The food was tasty and wonderfully prepared. During diner we met two local gentlemen who invited us to drinks after the meal. We met up in Sloan Square at Oriel and had a lively time complete with a birthday party pub crawl featuring Roman gladiators. An end to a full and fun day.

Day Four.
Off to Greenwich to see the National Maritime Museum and the Royal Observatory. We decided to go to Greenwich via the Thames River Cruise and experience London by water. The tour was informative and gave us a new perspective on transportation and maritime life in an inland port. The museum is on the grounds of the original Royal Naval College. The quadrangle is beautiful and inviting.
We focused on exhibits around the time of Lord Nelson and the early eighteen hundreds. Seeing the absolute reverence the British have for this man and what he accomplished is humbling. We then proceeded to the observatory to see where longitude starts. This one point on the earth is extremely significant especially to sailors like us. The research in figuring out how one can position one's location on earth using precise timing at the height of the noon sun never ceases to fascinate me. Included is the story of the work Harrison did to achieve an accurate nautical timepiece over a lifetime. The grounds for the observatory were beautifully kept and reflect the respect England has for the magnitude of these achievements.

After the observatory we came back on the river boat and ventured to see Buckingham Palace. The Queen was not at home so we could not pop in to say hi. The guards had finished changing and went home for the day fully dressed. We then walked to Hyde Park, Kensington and Back to Chelsea. Needless to say we walked a lot at the end of the day. We went to a local pub called Album and had a quick nosh before calling it a night. We also celebrate the reason for coming to England the golden anniversary of my birth.

England Day 2

Day Two.
A lovely breakfast in the company of Caroline and Richard our hosts and then we were off. The day's plan included the Tower of London, The Design Museum and the Tate Modern Museum. First stop was Partridges market for lunch supplies. Partridges is on par with US shops like Dean and Deluca or any upscale gourmet shop. The difference is that Partridges is a market endorsed with the seal of her majesty Elizabeth Regina II. Everything was fresh, tasty and beautifully presented. The service was also excellent. We then discovered that Mary's daypack strap was broken. With a bit of string from Partridges we made a jury rig for the strap and we were off to Sloane Square Station to be taken via tube to the Tower of London.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the Yeoman Wardens, aka Beefeaters, and whisked off to an entertaining tour of the grounds. I was amazed to find out this was not just a tower but many towers and the castle of the British empire, complete with huge moat, drawbridges, prisons and royal residences. Indeed this ominous location was where the expansion of the empire was planned and orchestrated. We learned much about the history of the Tower and enjoyed the architecture and beauty of this unique place. The crown jewels are also housed here and they are nothing short of breathtaking, The punch bowl was over the top! We finished our visit, crossed the tower bridge and had our picnic lunch on the south bank of the river Thames.

The Design Museum was our next destination. We were exposed to displays of beautiful and thoughtful designs in architecture, consumer products, fashion and transportation. It was then off to the Tate Modern Museum to prove my complete misunderstanding of modern art. There were lots of squares, cubes, rectangles and splotches of paint. The Picassos and Dalis were cool to see though. We then ventured across the Thames via the Millennium footbridge to find dinner.

We walked all through the theater district for an hour before deciding on an nice Italian restaurant called Bertorelli. The meal was superb and we highly recommend you go there right now to have dinner. On the way home we were approached by five girls from Holland, asking if we had an umbrella which I did have. No they did not want it but they wanted a picture of me with it. They were on holiday with school and were having a photographic scavenger hunt. There were screams of joy when the bumbershoot was produced and a photo ensued. After that adventure it was down to the tube and we were B&B bound.

England Day 1

Day one.
Made it to London safe and sound if not a bit foggy. No not the weather being foggy just our bodies from the flight. We knew we would be living the upcoming day on four hours of sleep on the plane and the effects of being bloated like a pufferfish from the altitude. Our arrival into London was very easy and included a nice walk through Chelsea. We passes some of the posh shops in the district. Our B&B is cheery and cozy. We got settled, had tea with our host and ventured to the Trafalgar Square area and the Board of Tourism to pick up our London Passes and tickets to the London Eye. Then it was off off for Fish 'n Chips at the Captain's Cabin, a traditional London Pub. Once refreshed we headed to Farlows, a fancy British fly shoppe on Pall Mall. Not much there I haven't seen before in the states, albeit in a much more upscale location. From there we crossed the river Thames via the Golden Jubilee footbridge and took the an amazing ride on the London Eye. From our eyepod (couldn't resist) we had a wonderful overview of the city and got ourselves oriented.

A quick crossing back over the river, via the Westminster Bridge, to Parliament which included a long look at Big Ben and Victoria Tower Gardens. This was followed by a walk to the Hoarse Guards to witness the olfactory delights of equine husbandry. After much discussion we decided on noodles at Wagamama for dinner. A wonderful asian noodle dinner with coconut ice cream with tangy mango sauce and toasted coconut flake garnish for desert. YUM! A short tube ride back to our B&B and we collapsed for a nine hour slumber.

Hello From London

No WiFi access at the local Starbucks, their network is down - TWITS!
I can't upload anything as yet. Hopefully this will be corrected soon. This internet cafe is brutal. I'm on a Windows 98 machine and have already rebooted once. Java script errors!!!! The good thing is I'm posting from Trafalgar Square! Huzzah for Admiral Nelson

Canine Mind Control

She is using her mind control on me

This is my friend Ruby. Her eyes get like that when she takes control of my mind. She is making me stop drinking single malt scotch for the night. That is the reason my face is like that.

We'll be learning a new language this week.

You too can learn a language in just a day Rick Steves can help.

This, is the face of Autism.... our face....

This is the Face of Autism

From my niece, who can say it better than me, and so eloquently . Be Aware.

April is Autism Awareness Month

Fourty Years Ago A Man Was Shot. I Hope His Dreams Become Reality

A friend of mine said it best.
"We have come so far. We have so very far to go."

Thanks Eric

Re: Big News!

Many people are questioning wether my previous post is real. I ca understand this due to the timing of the announcement. Please go here to see the supporting documentation. This explains in more detail what is happening on our exciting project this week. It is also documented here.

Big News!

After months of deliberation and soul searching Mary and I have made a life changing decision. We're combining our love for cooking, the excitement of fly fishing and our love of nature and the outdoors. We finished negotiations today and have successfully signed paperwork to buy the Roscoe Diner in beautiful Roscoe, New York.

Sign of the times

We've decided to get away from the rat race and head to the country. Since we both love to cook we decided that a career change in the restaurant business could be done in almost any location. People have to eat so we knew a new career involving food could take us anywhere we wanted to go. Initially we will continue to do our day jobs by telecommuting. Thank goodness for the internet. As the business progresses and we get on our feet in Roscoe we will transition to the diner permanently. Fortunately both our companies have other offices close by.

Situated at the southwestern end of the Catskill Park, Roscoe is the epicenter of the famous and historic fly fishing mecca the Delaware River basin. The Fly Fishing does not get any better than this on the east coast. Also close to the home to the famous Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum and the Wulff School of Fly Fishing. I attended the school a couple of years ago and just fell in love with the area. Since that time I've made several secret trips to Roscoe and was in negotiations with the owners of the diner. Now that the plans have solidified I can also announce that we will be putting a second floor onto the diner where we will have a full sportsmans lodge and fly shop. Note how the design will lend itself readily to the second floor addition.

Things are going up!
This will truly be an exciting time for us. Stay tuned as more details unfold. Remember to save room for our famous Roscoe Cherry Pie!

What can you do for one hour in the dark?

This Saturday (tomorrow) from 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM, turn out the lights and see what happens.
You could help save your planet.

More information here and here.

Not Normal

I can't even get above 50% normal. No, I don't read my daily horoscope, nor do I prefer rats. I'm "a little weird."

You Are Fairly Normal

You scored 45% normal on this quiz.
Like most people you are normal in some ways.
But you aren't a completely normal person.
You're a little weird too!

What's Normal About You... And What's Not?


How can you make a combover any worse?

We were having breakfast at a hotel in Freeport, Maine this morning and noticed a rather disheveled foursome standing in the buffet line. Hair care equipment and product were lacking. I was seated having breakfast and I noticed something I just could not believe. There was a combover tragedy of a new sort. I am sure everyone has seen the combover-blow-over, where a man with very short hair hits a gust of wind on the wrong side and his eight inch combover drapes on the leeward shoulder. My other favorite is the combover clump, where the combover strands merge into a one inch ribbon of plait and there is skin fore and aft of the congealed band. But just when I thought it could not get any worse, our victim was having a new undefined C-O Tragedy. He was totally unaware of this for about 15 minutes. He was wearing glasses and his combover had fallen forward to the top of his glasses forming a very neat and thick combover-unibrow that connected to his sideburns.

I agree with Eden

I agree with what Eden said. But George is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He was also full of mischief and a great deal of fun.

Me and the Guys with George at The Perfect Storm Press Junket
I'm the fat one.

My "Not So" WABAC Machine

What happens to 500GB in 1.5 months with Time Machine

I find this amusing since I am not very prolific in the art of file creation and acquisition. Seems like the HALF TERABYTE (500GB) hard drive I bought, in addition to the local half terabyte on my new iMac, will only hold a tad less than a month and half of data. So much for "total" recall of my old files using Apple's Time Machine. It is also interesting that I have used about 90GB on the local machine. Apple's suggestion of using a different backup disk tempts me to go buy stock in Apple hard drives. I suppose I'll now have to trim down on what actually should be backed up and how frequently it is done. This should be interesting. Thanks to Mr. Peabody for the first WABAC Machine.

I've carved into a rock and made my mark

Babson Bolder
Babson Bolders; from The Dacrons

I found out yesterday that a change I suggested some time ago for my product will now be adopted for our much larger product. It's really only a wording change, but I know I suggested it. Thanks to a co-worker who pushed it through with some convincing arguments it will be changed. I know that once I see it implemented, the fact that 130 million users will be affected, will give me a little giggle. If I went into detail it would be pretty boring so I'll keep up you in suspense. Many of my coworkers have made changes to the product and they are both profound and patented. My change was neither. I guess sometimes it's the small things that give us a grin.

Boston Derby Dames Roll On


We spent another Saturday night at Roller Derby. Poor Evilicious did a face plant into the wall. OUCH! The Wicked Pissahs have already moved into the finals. Now the Nutcrackers and the Cosmonaughties will have to duke it out for a playoff spot. We wish Evilicious the best in her recovery. Here is an Excerpt from the Boston Derby Dames website:

The Wicked Pissahs fought off a strong early attack from the Cosmonaughties to clinch a 103-64 win on February 9, guaranteeing their place in June's championship bout. Now the Cosmos get ready for an April rematch against the Nutcrackers to determine which team is best poised to stop the Pissahs from a second championship title. Our roving play-by-play reporter Mr. Hits will be checking in with his bout recap shortly, so check back soon.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed concern for Wicked Pissah MVP Evilicious, who left last night's bout in an ambulance after taking a hard hit into the wall late in the third period. She's at home sipping martinis through a straw while recovering from having broken her nose in four places and getting more than 30 stitches in her face. Broken and bruised, but more evil than ever.

With more than 1,600 people in the audience, this bout broke all previous attendance records. Thank you!

We brought three new fans to the bout and they are now hooked. Everyone had a great time and we can't wait for more action. Next bout is March 9. Hope to see you there.


I'm glad it's not as bad the nerd score.

I just found this and had to share it with you. I'm glad it's not as bad the nerd score.

68%How Addicted to Blogging Are You?

Via CuriousMitch

My Simpsons Avatar


Stuck to the Trees

Stuck to the Trees

Kung Hei Fat Choy

Kung Hei Fat Choy
(Click the image to play)

I just got this greeting from Naxos and I wanted to share it with you. There is a free download of the song too! Naxos also has a great podcast if you want to learn more about classical music. Their goal is to record and distribute, at a reasonable price as many classical works as possible. Only a very tiny percentage of all the classical music written has actually been recorded. I think this is a very worthy goal.

This is the year of the Earth Rat. May your Rat be healthy and prosperous!

Happy Chinese New Year!

No Bunny Wednesday

No Bunny Wednesday
Moody Special, A big honkin' Sand Eel and Dave Skok's PC Clouser.

Last night Captain Nat Moody of First Light Anglers used no bunny fur to instruct our class. After quelling the unsettled surprise of the class we got down to business. First up was the Moody Special which is Nat's deadly imitation of a Mummy Chub. (I know I've butchered the name. Leave a comment and help me out folks.) This is an early spring bait fish pattern that Nat says has been extremely successful. Next the classic Clouser with a twist, using some of Dave Skok's material for the belly and then some Kinky Fiber. Finally an all Slinky Fiber Sand Eel pattern. We got to tie two of each of these flies during the class and I managed to squeeze in three more for a good night of nine flies. My sideline flies were two more Mini Gurglers and a Deceiver with a deer hair head in the same colors as the Moody Special. I also discovered I need a sippy cup for the second week in a row.



I just found out about dogcow by way of 43 Folders. Thanks Merlin! This is just plain cute. Go here to get all the facts.


Fly Tying Update

I need to bring you up to date on what I've been tying for the last three weeks. I'll roll all three sessions into one post. Let's start with January 16, and instructor John Kelsey. John is a meticulous tier and his flies are some of the most striking and beautiful in my fly box. He likes sparse flies in the style of Ken Abrames. During a discussion on the First Light Anglers Discussion Board the topic of small krill type flies for striped bass was brought up. Many times they are feeding on very small crustasions and will not take a respectable fishy looking fly. John has discovered that they become selective when feeding on this smaller food. My take is that if they are taking small food they get fixed on quantity of a single source to fill their belly. Thus the selectivity. To combat this John has created some flies that give the impression of that food. Here is part of that prolific evening. I tied a total of nine flies that night.

John Kelsey - Tiny Striper Flies
Soft Hackle, Krill, 10 Strand Streamer, Saltwater Bivisible, Orange Worm, Little Garthside Gurgler.

Next on January 23 we were double teamed by Dan Harrison of Harrison Anglers in Western Massachusetts and Walt (Otter) Mueller Jr. of Blue River Designs in Breckenridge, Colorado. Dan showed us all the merits of foam by tying the Fat Albert. I was able to to complete two. I was surprised at how easy and fun these flies were to tie. Dan assures us that this is one of the most complex foam flies. If we can tie this one, we can tie most of the other foam dries. He was a great instructor and he's also a fine writer. He was just published in the most recent issue of Fly Fisherman.

Following Dan was Walt Mueller, Jr. who is the inventor of "Soft Milking Eggs" from the Montana Fly Company. This product looks amazingly like real salmon eggs. They even sell fertilized and un-fertilized imitations. The antron fibers represent the light cloud of milt on the eggs and also help to hold the egg on the hook. This is a simple and effective pattern during spawning season. Otter says they will trigger a strike during any season. He also showed us a simple one material midge pattern.

Fat Albert, Midge and Eggs
Fat Alberts, Midge and Eggs over easy.

This past week George Sprague showed us some very cool techniques for Crease Flies. These flies are gaining wide acceptance in the salt water fly fishing community in spite of their resemblance to a traditional fishing lure. George has taken the art of this foam creation to new heights. I was very impressed with these flies, even with the quality of my amateur efforts. These flies were also fun to tie. I can't wait to try some on the water.

Crease Flies
Crease Flies.

There's your update. Tight Lines!

I'm Getting Excited

I just saw these,

I'm sure the MacBook Air isn't far behind. I can't wait!

Carter Takes First Place in the Pinewood Derby!

In the home of Indy Racing League our Tiger Cub came in first. Seven is a lucky birthday. Totally awesome, totally! Congratulations Carter.
For the full story go to More Than Just Corn.

Happy Birthday Carter!

Today you are a seven year old Tiger Cub. Seven is a very lucky year. We hope you have a lot of fun and all your Birthday wishes come true.

Drawing Flies 365

I thought 30 days of blogging was tough. How about drawing every day for a year and then blogging about it daily. That's commitment! Jeff Kennedy will draw a fly fishing fly every day for a year and post the results over at his Drawing Flies Blog. The art work is wonderful and he is drawing using a wide range of media. Good Luck Jeff.

via Moldy Chum

Harbour Snow

The power went out today and there was no PB & J in the house.
We went to lunch on the waterfront so someone else could cook.

Harbour Snow
The wet and heavy snow broke many tree limbs.
The cedar in the front yard bent like a lily in bloom.

Cedar under the load of snow

The snow stuck to everything.

The Snow stuck to everything

The pungent smell of the traps was startling in the pristine whiteness.

Smells the same

Tying Trout Flies with Patrick Brown

This week trout flies were on the menu. Three classics for every fly box.
The caddis is sweet! How do I know? I tasted it.

Pheasant Tail, Wooley Bugger, Caddis Pupae
Fly Tying with Patrick Brown - Pheasant Tail, Wooley Bugger, Caddis Pupae

Blue, White and Black



All the posts are now copied over to the new format. I had to use the Force Sync and the Manually Re-Sync With Blogger button to get the postings over instead of using the Publish button. I know you have no Idea what I'm talking about but I'm writing this down so I don't forget it. This post was made from my desktop and Rapidweaver.
Next Page